Maxwell Che joined the team at Cotney Construction Law in 2017. His practice encompasses all aspects of construction law, including: construction defect litigation; contract negotiation, review, and drafting; contractor licensing defense; lien law; bond law; and OSHA defense.
Max was born in China, but moved to Canada at a young age. This allowed him to be orally fluent in Mandarin Chinese, while also developing a working proficiency in French. He continues to maintain connections and family in both countries who have ties to the construction industry, from home renovators to material manufacturers, which has provided him insight into the numerous complexities and challenges faced by contractors, suppliers, and manufacturers.
Prior to joining Cotney Construction Law, Max worked as a construction litigation associate at a large Florida firm, defending developers, general contractors, subcontractors, and design professionals against all manner of construction defect claims. Max applies this experience, along with his language skills and knowledge of the construction industry and individual contractor needs, to better serve his clients.
- Florida State University College of Law, J.D., Magna Cum Laude
- Carleton University, B.A., Honors
- Cole, Scott & Kissane, P.A., 2014-2017, Associate Attorney – Construction Law
- Fuller & Myers, 2013, Law Clerk
Honors and Activities
- FSU Law Business Certificate – Highest Honors
- FSU Law Review – Senior Member
- FSU Business Review – Executive Editor
- FSU Journal of Transnational Law & Policy
- International Trade Simulation Diploma
- Law School Summer Program at Oxford University
- Florida Bar
- U.S. Middle District of Florida