The United States Patent and Trademark Office (PTO) categorizes trademark registrations for products and services into 45 distinct classes. The rationale behind this system is to give various types of businesses the ability to register their trademarks into categories that align with their core business interests.
In this two-part series, the Nashville construction lawyers at Cotney Construction Law will discuss Class 37, which includes trademarks for building construction, demolition, repair, and installation services. Contractors that need to protect their intellectual property (IP) can benefit from a partnership with a Nashville construction lawyer. Our lawyers can file, prosecute, and manage trademarks on your behalf to ensure that your IP is protected. Our unrivaled experience in clearance, judicial enforcement, licensing, litigation, trademark disputes, trademark audits, and watch services means the ideas that define your business and give you a unique imprint on the industry will always be protected.
Contractors and Subcontractors
The services covered by Class 37 are largely those offered by contractors and subcontractors in the construction industry. This includes original construction, renovations, and restorations. Class 37 mainly deals with:
- Construction of buildings, roads, bridges, dams, or transmission lines
- Specialized contracting services like painting, plumbing, heating installation, roofing, etc.
- Construction design plan inspections
- Services dealing with the acquisition of tools or building materials
- Repair services
- Restoration services
Class 37 Trademark Examples
It can be difficult to distinguish between what does and does not constitute a Class 37 trademark without the assistance of a Nashville construction attorney, so here are some hypothetical examples of products and services that would be covered under Class 37:
- RAPID ROOFER: as a type of building construction that uses a special, streamlined system involving a unique “shingle elevator” to complete roofs in half the time and with twice the durability of standard roofing processes, RAPID ROOFER qualifies under Class 37. If another business were to adopt this process, it could negatively affect RAPID ROOFER’s business.
- MISTER QUICKLY: as an HVAC contractor with a unique installation process with speeds 27 percent faster than the next leading competitor, MISTER QUICKLY falls under Class 37.
- BUCCANEER BUILDERS OF TAMPA: similar to the last two examples, this business, which clearly falls under Class 37, is protected by our country’s trademark laws.
To learn more about Class 37 trademarks, read part two.
Disclaimer: The information contained in this article is for general educational information only. This information does not constitute legal advice, is not intended to constitute legal advice, nor should it be relied upon as legal advice for your specific factual pattern or situation.