Jim Barlow | Attorney
Jim joined Cotney Construction Law in 2018. Jim’s practice encompasses multiple facets of construction law, including contract review and drafting, construction defect litigation, OSHA defense, lien law, building code violation defense, contractor licensing defense, and bond law.
Jim Barlow grew up in Coral Springs, Florida and his family has history in the construction industry. Jim’s maternal grandfather was a home builder for several decades, and then transitioned into the HVAC maintenance business, which he still runs to this day. Growing up, Jim would work for his grandfather’s business, servicing commercial businesses throughout the State of Florida.
Jim attended The University of Florida, where he received his Bachelor of Arts degree in Political Science and his Juris Doctor, both with honors. In addition to his experience at Cotney Construction Law, Jim served as a summer law clerk for the Honorable Cory. J. Ciklin. Jim’s passion for the law and his family connection to the construction industry are utilized daily in his representation of our clients.
- University of Florida Levin College of Law, J.D., Cum Laude
- University of Florida, B.A., Cum Laude
- Cotney Construction Law, Summer Associate, May 2018 – August 2018, Associate Attorney, September 2019-Present
- The Fourth District Court of Appeal, Law Clerk for the Honorable Cory J. Ciklin, May 2017-July 2017
- OSHA 10-hour Safety Training Certification
- Florida Bar
Honors and Activities
- Recipient of Book Award in Mediation, 2018
- Recipient of Book Award in Criminal Procedure, 2018
- Recipient of Book Award in Employment Discrimination, 2018
- Finalist, Alternative Dispute Resolution Final Four, University of Florida, 2017
- General Editor, Florida Journal of International Law, 2017-2019
- Public Relations Director, Alternative Dispute Resolution Team, 2018