Richard James Anderson II | Attorney
Richard started with Cotney Construction Law in 2020 following his graduation from the University of Florida Levin College of Law. Prior to starting law school, Richard worked in oilfield services as a roustabout and as a floor hand on a workover oil well services rig. In his role, Richard completed oilfield plumbing projects which connected wellhead units to standing tank batteries and pipelines, served as a frac-services technician, performed duties as member of a carpentry crew building treater unit and pump-shack housing, and performed maintenance and service on existing oil wells. Richard received OSHA 10 and Niobara Field Certification while performing oilfield duties in North Dakota, Montana, Colorado, and Nebraska. Through his experience, Richard gained insight to both the challenges and rewards of the construction industry.
Richard received his law degree from the UF College of Law, where he served as the Executive Vice President of the Florida Trial Team, Treasurer of the Christian Legal Society, Treasurer of the College of Law Republicans, and Director of External Affairs for the Federalist Society. Richard also founded, organized, and fundraised the Gator Law Adoption Day celebration which hosted the adoption of over forty children into new families at the Martin Levin Advocacy Center on UF’s campus.
While still a law student, Richard represented himself pro se in his father’s estate and successfully argued an interlocutory appeal of an order determining homestead in front of the Second District Court of Appeals.
- University of Florida Levin College of Law, J.D.
- Northern Illinois University, B.A.
- Rock Valley College, A.A.
- Cotney Construction Law, August 2020 – Present
- Legal Extern for Alachua County Attorney, January 2020 – May 2020
- Office of the Public Defender for the 15th Judicial Circuit, May 2019 – August 2019
- Key Energy Services, June 2014 – January 2015
- Concord Field Services, June 2012 – September 2013
- State of Florida
- Anderson v. Letosky — SO.3D — (FLA. 2D DCA MAY 27, 2020), 2020 WL 2745559
Honors and Activities
- University of Virginia Law School Softball Invitational, National Champion, 2018-2019
- UF Trial Team: Unsung Hero, 2020
- Florida Bar Chester H. Bedell Memorial Mock Trial Competition, Second Place, 2019
- Rock Valley College, Varsity Baseball Team, 2015