Since 1999, Trent Cotney of Cotney Construction Law has dedicated himself to serving the roofing industry. As a Florida Bar Board Certified Construction Lawyer, Trent specializes in roofing litigation and arbitration, including defending roofers on construction defect claims, prosecuting lien and bond law claims, defending OSHA citations, contractor licensing defense, and bid protests. In addition, the Cotney team reviews and drafts hundreds of roofing-related contracts a year for roofing contractors, suppliers, manufacturers, and others in the industry.
The firm currently serves as General Counsel for the National Roofing Contractors Association (NRCA), Florida Roofing & Sheet Metal Association (FRSA), National Slate Association (NSA), National Women in Roofing (NWIR), Roofing Technology Think Tank (RT3), Western States Roofing Contractors Association (WSRCA), Canadian Roofing Contractors Association (CRCA), and several other industry associations as identified below.
Trent and the firm have also been recognized for their work in the industry through several awards, including:
- NRCA Gold Circle Award for Service to the Industry (2014)
- WSRCA Outstanding Service Award (2020)
- FRSA Earl Blank “Heart” Award (2010, 2020)
- WCRCA Joe Whatley Lifetime Achievement Award (2019)
- TARC Service to the Industry Award (2018)
- WCRCA Byron Curry Memorial Achievement Award (2009)
- FRSA President’s Award (2008)