If you own a construction business, there will be times that you experience a dispute with another entity. In some cases, the only way to resolve this issue is through either litigation or an alternative dispute resolution (ADR) process, such as mediation or arbitration. When you find yourself in need of a lawyer to represent you in a legal matter, there are certain characteristics you should look for in your attorney.
In this article, the Nashville construction litigation attorneys at Cotney Construction Law will discuss a few of the qualities of the type of construction lawyer you want in your corner when you are going through the litigation process. Remember, for any of your construction firm’s legal needs, a Nashville construction law firm is only a phone call away.
7 Questions to Help You Find the Right Litigation Lawyer
Hiring an attorney for a litigation matter can be an overwhelming process. If you require a Nashville construction litigation attorney to represent you in a matter, here are some things to consider before you hire an attorney:
1) Are They Experienced? There are thousands of lawyers that graduate from law school every year, and there are even more attorneys practicing at law firms, but the majority of these professionals do not have litigation experience. When choosing an attorney, you should be direct in your questioning when it comes to the topic of experience in litigation. If an attorney refuses to go into great detail about their past experience in the courtroom, you may want to consider a different attorney that practices Nashville construction law.
2) Does the Attorney Have a Great Reputation? There are many ways you can learn more about an attorney and their reputation. This can start with a basic internet search, or you can ask other professionals that have worked with this attorney in the past. You can weed out lawyers with a bad reputation during this process and narrow your search down to lawyers that have a great reputation.
3) Do They Have a Track Record of Success? When hiring an attorney, you want someone that can show you that they have achieved successful results, won important cases, and is confident in their ability to deliver positive results for their clients. A successful construction attorney can show you past successes they have had in litigation.
4) Do They Have the Right Personality? When you hire an attorney, the lawyer’s personality and approach has to align with their client’s needs and the way they want to approach a dispute. Our attorneys are excellent listeners, great at communicating with clients, and will creatively and proactively take on the legal matters of a case until these issues are resolved.
5) Do They Have the Right Firm Culture? Arguably one of the most overlooked qualities of a great litigation lawyer is their firm’s culture. Afterall, to achieve successful results during litigation you need a team of outstanding litigators and staff that are committed to your case. Cotney Construction Law is a nationally recognized law firm with many of the best construction litigators in the country. Our lawyers work cohesively to ensure the best results are delivered for our clients.
6) Are They a Construction Lawyer? If you work in the construction industry and have a dispute, there are certain qualities your lawyer needs to possess to deliver a favorable outcome for your dispute. Many of the attorneys of Cotney Construction Law are board-certified in construction law and have in-depth knowledge of the laws related to the industry.
7) Are They Accessible? For starters, a construction professional looking for a litigation lawyer in Nashville is best served working with a Nashville construction law firm, considering a Tennessee-based lawyer will have a firm understanding of all the state and local laws that impact your case. At Cotney Construction Law, we have lawyers located all across the country, so regardless of where your project is located, a construction lawyer can offer you accurate legal advice.
In addition to assisting you with any of your construction law litigation needs, an experienced construction attorney can provide a myriad of other valuable legal services to construction clients. Whether it’s contract review, employment law advice, or defense against OSHA, when you partner with a Nashville construction law firm, we will provide you with the legal advice you need. If you are experiencing a dispute, we can give a significant amount of insight into your case, considering our knowledge of construction practices and our in-depth knowledge of the laws that can impact your case.
Disclaimer: The information contained in this article is for general educational information only. This information does not constitute legal advice, is not intended to constitute legal advice, nor should it be relied upon as legal advice for your specific factual pattern or situation.